1. You are never too old to watch Disney movies, buy a t shirt just cause it has a cute dog on it or have fish finger sandwiches for tea. If anyone tells you otherwise then cut them out of your life because you don’t need that kind of negativity.
2. Nothing brings joy to a family like a brand new baby. I don’t even like kids that much but the arrival of my niece seems to have brought the family closer to together and everyone seems so happy when they are in her presence.
3. Melted cheese really is the tits. For so long I despised it but boy was I wrong – Pizzas, burgers, beans…All improved with lashings of the stuff.
4. Once you’ve been bitten by the travel bug it will never really leave you. I spent 13 months away but there’s still so much of the world I want to see.
5. Sometimes all you need a big dirty night out with your mates, one where you have a stinking hangover the next day and don’t get out of bed or brush your teeth. I wouldn’t advise having one of them every weekend but sometimes they are needed in order to rid your brain of all the bad juju you have swirling around in there.
6. It’s okay to be interested in and passionate about politics/human rights, even if the people surrounding you aren’t. You should never dumb yourself down or keep quiet just to please others.
7. Once you get past a certain age, you’re gunna put weight on. You’ll most definitely have some extra goo around your waist and thighs and if you’re lucky, your boobs. It’s a bit scary at first but eventually realise that it’s normal and chances are, noone really cares that much apart from you.
8. Palmers cocoa butter is a god send for brand new tattoos (providing you’re not allergic of course!). I always used Bepanthem but after hearing cocoa butter is a great alternative I’m now a convert. My tattoo wasn’t really healing then I applied some and BAM, an hour later it was scabbing nicely. Hurrah for cocoa butter! (PS if you hadn’t already guessed the photo above is a quick snap on my newish tattoo).
9. Steak is definitely best when it’s cooked rare. For so long we had it medium-ish but now it’s pretty much in and out of the pan, seared just enough that the outside is brown but the inside is a juicy and tender pink.
10. The best friendships are the ones where you don’t talk or see each other for months on end yet when you meet up it’s like no time has passed at all.
11. If you don’t want to do something, don’t do it. Simple as.
12. Also, you also can’t please everyone. As you get older you have to make sacrifices when it comes to socialising (eg like saying no to birthday party invites) for your own benefit (eg for your bank balance). If people don’t like that then tough.
13. It’s definitely worth travelling all around the country to see your favourite band live. Nothing tops that buzz you get when you hear some of your favourite songs in the flesh and dance and sweat for two hours straight
14. Primark are the kings of nightwear and I dare you to say I’m wrong.
15. The older you get, the worse your hangover will be. So maybe go steady when it comes to number 5.
16. Living in the real world and nurturing your actual relationships is much more important that your life online. 2017 I’m going to be focusing a lot more on living in the present – i.e not taking a million photos on a day out because it ‘will be good for the blog’ or scrolling mindlessly through Twitter when I should be paying attention to what I’m watching with Jody.
You will be glad to know this is the last of my 2016/2017/New Year posts! Regular programming will resume tomorrow.