When reading this list, please bear in mind I live on the West Coast - Things may be different over East!
1. Steve Irwin's (RIP) shows made out Australia was heaving with a million and one things that can kill you - Which is true it is - but in the urbanized areas you hardly see any poisonous critters (Not here in Perth anyways). We've seen zero snakes and one redback spider..Bear in mind Jody works as a delivery driver so he is often out in the sticks and he hasn't seen anything super scary either. And he is TERRIFIED of spiders.
2. We grew up thinking that all Aussies say 'Bonzer', 'G'day', 'Barbie' and 'Sheila'...Well guess what, TV lied. 'Too easy' and 'No worries' are super common and here in Perth expect to hear 'How you going' and 'Yeah, Nah' a lot. I know I don't get it either.
3. Fosters doesn't come from Australia, isn't made in Australia and it isn't drank in Australia. It's just a marketing gimmick. Here in Oz, people drinking lager isn't that common really, most aussies seem to prefer beer.
4. You know when Oz is shown on telly, the sun is always shining and people are wearing shorts? Again, ALL LIES. Perth is one of the windiest cities in the world, it rains quite a lot in the cooler months and on a night it can get as low as 1 degree. ONE DEGREE. The other night we had trackies, hoodies and beanies on AND we were under the quilt. TV, I trusted you.
5. I've mentioned this before, but koalas really aren't that common. Koala's aren't actually native to the West Coast and the colony at Yanchep were brought here. From what I can gather, they aren't roaming that freely on the East coast either? Yep if you wanna see one, you will have to pay for it or have extremely peeled eyes.
6. Not everyone is a bronzed, blonde surfer babe. In fact, I haven't even seen that many surfers (maybe I'm in the wrong bit). The people here are just like you and me, and some of them are actually quite pale! Don't believe everything you hear.